Sunday, September 27, 2009

The Sunday cycle


We went for our Sunday cycle on Saturday this week. The weather was glorious, we couldn't waste the day sitting indoors. As usual, we took a scenic route. Most of what we saw today looked just like this:



It's a refreshing sight when you feel like you're living in a goldfish bowl. I'm still coming to terms with the fact privacy and having some peace and quiet - or are we just really unlucky with our neighbours?! - are rare when you're living in the Netherlands.

Everyone seemed to be making the most of the weather as there were plenty of other cyclists about. I don't think I'll ever get bored of seeing hordes of cyclists. The way the Dutch do cycling is just really, well, cool. I'm always happy to be out on the bike and I think people usually seem very jolly when they're on their bikes, too.

We also saw loads of these today:








This week I am starting my Dutch lessons. I opted to do the intensive course which lasts a few weeks, rather than three months. I think this will be much better, at least for the first level, and enjoyable. It could also be complete and utter madness, but I am going to think positive. I'm really looking forward, for the first time ever, to studying.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know what it is with the Dutch but they seem to not even like privacy. We live about half an hour from the border, and the way you can see if you've gone into Holland, especially at night is the fact that no one has curtains or blinds. You can see straight into people's living rooms. Belgians have net curtains so no one can see in during the day, and then as soon as it gets dark we hermetically seal off the place.

    Good luck with the lessons. You should make yourself use all your new knowledge at home all the time, that way it will be second nature very soon.

    ReplyDelete