Thursday, October 1, 2009

Cooking Dutch style: Hutspot


Hutspot (also known as wortelstamp) is probably one of my favourite Dutch meals. It's so simple but I love it. It's also super easy to prepare. I guess I could have bought potatoes and carrots and peeled and sliced them but I'm very slow at that.



Our local supermarket sells potatoes and carrots and onions especially for hutspot. Already washed and sliced. I love making things easier and I'm lazy so of course I bought those. Actually, I always buy these huge bag of potatos and carrots and onions for making cottage pie. This way I can make enough for two days. I've never actually made hutspot with them but I've really wanted to try it for a while.


I got the recipe here. I didn't want to use the amount of butter they suggested in the recipe so put the onions in a little bit of oil. I managed to burn some of them slightly because I went to answer the phone mid-cooking. Oops. Lesson learnt. I should have gone with my instinct and cooked the carrot and onions with the potatoes. Other recipes I've looked at since have all said to do that.



Mashed the carrots, onions and potatoes together. Added a little bit of milk and butter. Also added a dash of pepper, salt and nutmeg (nootmuskaat).





Although it was my first attempt, and I thought it was going all wrong at one point, it did look like hutspot in the end. It tasted quite nice, too. We had ours with vegetarian sausages and (Bisto) gravy.




10 comments:

  1. I fail at that housewifely task. I can't make a hutspot to save my life. It is the simplest thing ever but when I make it, it is just yuck. I attempted it again just this week and it turned out better. This time I cooked the potatoes and the carrots(with onions) separately. However it still wasn't AWESOME.

    I admire anyone who can make a yummy hutspot :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 125 grams of butter?! Good grief! My recipe is basically just dumping everything in one pot with a bullion cube and boiling until it's soft enough to mash *L* Now I think I need to make hutspot, the weather is certainly getting chilly enough!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done! I make the mash separately and put in the fried onion, carrot and sausage so they are still in bits. Some people prefer it all mashed, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm, that looks creamy and delicious! Strangely I haven't made hutspot yet, but I keep meaning to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Andrea, it isn't easy! I don't know why, it SOUNDS simple! Mine wasn't yummy but I'll be working on that. I might ask my boyfriend's Mum if I can watch her cook hers. She makes really good hutspot.

    Mub - I know! I thought I was reading it wrong to being with, We don't even use butter or margerine on our sandwiches. I just couldn't bring myself to cook with it. Have you noticed there are lots of autumn recipes with hutspot these days?

    Mwa - Thanks! I left mine slightly lumpy. Mmm.

    Lizzy - There are loads of recipes for it online. I'm sure you'd do a better job than I could! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ditto on my MIL's hutspot... hers is delicious as well and when I ask her how she makes it she just says boil it all together and mash with some butter and milk. When the hubby and I tried that it turned soupy and yucky and blah. I have gotten tips from others but I know my MIL doesn't do any of that fancy stuff but I don't know what I'm doing wrong :-(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is hutspot the same as stampot (I might be spelling it wrong)?

    My girlfriend has been introducing me to all the different kinds of stampot. I really really like them but I can never remember which is which of the different types.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds really good, actually. Might have to try that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ Stu - I think stamppot is the name for any dish that's mashed (with potatoes). I've only tried the hutspot before!

    @ Caleb - Cool :-) My mother-in-law (to-be) is making it for me on Tuesday. Hopefully I'll get some good tips on cooking it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The main thing to prevent Hutspot -or any stamppot- going soupy is steaming the potatoes after cooking them to get rid of excess water so that they are really dry.
    Simply drain the potatoes and put them back on the hob for a couple of minutes, uncovered, medium to high heat. Keep an eye on them, they burn easily now. Give the pan an upward toss/shake and continue to make stamppot. Also, the Dutch use the "kruimige" kind of potatoes for stamppot; they get softer and sort of crumbly, easier to mash.

    ReplyDelete