Saturday, October 31, 2009

Expat's World Blog Surf Day entry: Holidays and celebrations.

Before I start, I must share some links with you. The next blogger taking part is Mub.
 
Also, Karen at Empty Nest Expat is Twitter-ing about this event today.

-------------

I thought that I would probably talk about Sinterklaas for my World Blog Surf Day entry as it is a holiday I really do enjoy. It's definitely a favourite. The more I thought about it, I realised that what I like most is seeing how the Dutch celebrate birthdays and the birth of a baby. I guess it's one of the few times I get to be around Dutch people and learn more about their culture. Most of the things I learn about the Dutch, I glean from books or other blogs.

There were so many things I could talk about in relation to this topic but wanted to keep this post as succinct as possible.


C = Circle


When you go to a birthday gathering, you'll most likely be asked to take a seat in the birthday circle. The birthday boy or gal will have arranged the exact number of chairs in a circle around the coffee table. The birthday circle is not limited to birthdays. If a few people are invited to someone's house for a celebration, you'll probably always sit in a circle. When you sit down, you are not expected to move from your seat until its time to leave (or visit the bathroom.)

E = Eating


As soon as you sit down in the birthday circle, the first thing you'll be offered is a cup of tea or coffee and a slice of birthday cake. Usually there are two types of cake on offer. After the cake has been scoffed and you've finished your drink, more food appears. Cubes of cheese, slices of sausage and crackers with various toppings are popular. You don't leave the circle to get food. The birthday person will walk around the circle and you grab a piece of food from the plate. A short while later the same thing happens. A short while after that, the plate is passed around again. Once the mini pieces of food have been devoured, crisps and nuts usually appear.

L = Liedje

Liedje is a song. Here is a clip of Nick and Simon singing "Happy birthday" in Dutch.



E = E-mail


A birthday person invites people to their home for their birthday and they'll usually send out an invitation by e-mail. The birthday person will give a start - and sometimes end - time for the party. You are expected to arrive on time for the start of the party. Usually the invitation is limited to family but sometimes a few friends or neighbours may be invited. Most invites requesting that you reply by a certain date. We got an invitation this week that asked us to reply by 8:50am on Sunday morning. This was a serious request. Very precise!

B = Banners


It is easy to tell when a new baby has arrived because people decorate their houses to announce the occasion. You may only see a blue or pink flag hanging infront of the house but a simple, understated display like that is pretty rare. Some popular decorations are storks, a large wooden baby or animal (usually with the baby's name printed on it) or even a giant inflatable baby. Banners and/or balloons hanging in the front windows and in the garden saying "Hoera, it's a boy/girl!" are popular. These can stay up for quite some time. Our next door neighbours erected a washing line in their front garden and hung blue baby clothes from it. Above it they had perched a large banner with the name of their son. It stayed there for months.

R = Rusks
 
A beschuit is usually translated into English as rusk. In the UK they are called something else as I always associate a rusk with the baby biscuits. I've looked online but can't find a definite answer. When you go to visit new parents, you will be offered a beschuit met muisjes. Muisjes [little mice!] are small, hard aniseed-flavoured balls. They are sprinkled on a beschuit with butter. Most people say that they are heel erg lekker which means that they think they are very tasty indeed.
 
A = Announcement

New parents post a birth announcement card [Geboortekaartje] to friends and family pretty quickly after the birth of their child. This is such a normal thing to do that the postal folk also sell stamps [Geboortezegels] with storks on them. We get these cards a lot, even from my partner's work colleagues who he says he doesn't even know. He jokes that this is because people do this because they're trying to get you to fork out money. Usually the cards have information about the new baby, godparents, what times you can visit at or asking that you call the parents to arrange a visit beforehand. I've noticed that some of the cards also include the parents' bank account details so you know where you can deposit loot if you feel like it.
 
T = Table

When you visit new parents, it is common for them to use the coffee table to display all the gifts people have bought. Cards that people have sent are usually on display around the living room too.

E = Etiquette


When you greet the birthday person you congratulate them with a Gefeliciteerd and a handshake or three kisses. When you enter the living room, some people may already be perched on their seats in the birthday circle. If these people are in your family, or the family or your partner, you will say hello and take your seat. Sometimes the birthday person has invited their in-laws or a neighbours. It is very normal for these people to  walk around and shake everyone's hand and congratulate them on the birthday of your sibling or sibling-in-law! I find this the most boggling, and amusing, thing about Dutch birthdays and never know how to react in this situation.
 

16 comments:

  1. Thank you for the celebration post. I never been to Netherlands so it's all new to me.
    Happy surfing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen some of the baby banners outside the houses here, although living in the city center I don't get to see some of the larger displays. I've yet to experience the birthday circle, but I'm secretly hoping to experience it at least once, as odd as it seems (to me). Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That is quite a process for a new baby. I'm surprised that other cultures don't have such an intensive welcome of the new ones into the family and world. Thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All four of my grandparents are "off the boat" from the Netherlands so I really enjoyed your post. What happens if the person you sit next to in the birthday circle is, well, a little dull? Can't you get up and mingle?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks guys.

    Karen, I think you choose your place in the circle carefully and I'm always there with my partner. Also, as there aren't very many people and you're all so close together, people tend to shout to other people sitting far away :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. oranjefl. - I think it's odd too and we try to prevent it when we have people over but it's hard!

    ReplyDelete
  7. when I read this, I'm so not-Dutch anymore after having lived in 8 countries..)
    kindest
    hans

    ReplyDelete
  8. Getting party invites with the start AND finish time of the party on them, I had forgotten about that. It has been a long time since I have lived in the Netherlands.

    BBE

    ReplyDelete
  9. Goodness me, reply by 8.50am? It sounds almost military. It's amazing how cultures vary on their concept of timing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've not heard of the birthday circle before, your writeup of it and its etiquette was fascinating! Thanks for choosing this for WBSD!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dutch birthday parties are one thing that I don't feel ready to embrace. I want people to be serving ME on my birthday... not the other way around!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Haha, this post made me laugh!! The precision of the birthday party email is so Dutch :) Dutch feestjes are one of a kind! Mr B got extremely confused when he would be congratulated on my birthday each year!!

    Saskia xx

    PS Oooh I could do with a bescuit met muisjes right now... or some pepernoten!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great explanation of Dutch birthday parties! Like you said in the comments, they can get rather noisy, especially if alcohol is served after the first round of tea/coffee - the tipsier the guests, the louder the voices...

    Saskia, you're making me hungry! Kruidnoten and a cup of coffee, now that would be nice!

    I hope everyone had a good WBSD - I am still making my rounds as the past few days have been busy, but I'm getting there :D

    Emmanuelle

    I hope

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great post! I didn't know about sitting around in a circle ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great explanation about how to celebrate a Dutch birthday properly ;-) Seems the Dutch people are evn more precise when it comes to timing as my fellow countrymen and -women, the Germans. SY

    PS My apologies to everybody that left a comment on my own WBSD post, I had to change its 'home' and lost all comments *sniff-sniff*, SY

    ReplyDelete
  16. Spot on. When I first heard about circle parties I thought it was an over exaggeration or a joke. Of course I later found out it was all true.

    The first time I experienced 'Gefeliciteerd' it caught me off guard as well. All the Dutch birthday parties I have been to involved everyone saying Gefeliciteerd to everyone else when they arrived. I had no idea how to react the first few times.

    ReplyDelete