Saturday, October 10, 2009

Ik wil graag Nederlands leren

The Dutch lessons have started but I'll probably not say too much about about them for a few weeks. I'd like to see how things progress and I'm interested to see what the difference between the immersion course and the next level will be like. So far things are going well and I'm really pleased that I signed up for this course.

There are 18 people in the class and most of them are living here because, like me, they have a Dutch partner. Most of them also plan on settling here for good or, at least, for quite some time. On the first day our teacher asked us why we were learning Dutch and to tell her one or two of the main reasons why we were following the course. Almost every person said they wanted to learn Dutch because they wanted to find a job or follow a course. Finding a job is important to me but I feel that if I learn Dutch I am confident I will find a job. I've also had a job here before so know it's possible and another English speaking job could pop up again in the future. I'd like to have as many options as possible. Some people have already said that if they find a job they'll quit the course or they only intend to do this immersion course. I was expecting to hear at least one of the main reasons I had said but nobody else said the same thing. I found this really surprising.

1. To understand and be understood.

This is what motivates me to learn Dutch. I want to be able to speak for myself in any situation and know what is happening around me. I want to be able to speak to people, especially Daan's parents. I just can't imagine living here and never being able to speak with people in the language of the country we're living in. I can go shopping here or travel and understand what's being said and most of the time people understand me but when the Dutch gets more complicated or there are a lot of people speaking Dutch, I am completely cut off from what is happening. I don't speak because I can't add to the conversation and rely on someone to translate. For me, this is one of the hardest things about being an expat.

2. I live here ergo I should.

The Dutch speak good English. I heard this so much before I lived here. Yes, most of them do but not all of them. Daan's parents and aunts and uncles speak no English whatsoever. His siblings speak English but don't like speaking it. When I was living here about eight months, more people started to comment that I should learn Dutch. The Dutch are tolerant but I have found that many people expect that you should make efforts to integrate. I am not disagreeing with this but I have heard comments so many times about this. Just last weekend Daan met one of his aunts and he was telling them that I was doing the immersion course. She told him about a relative who is married to a foreigner and that, despite having lived here for over five years, they rather disapprovingly said that they still don't speak very good Dutch. I think it shows that many Dutch people do expect you to get to grips with the language at some point. I also find that even if you're Dutch is very basic, people's attitudes completely change. Whenever I go out, people are always very polite in shops and are always asking me lots of questions when they realise I'm not a native Dutch speaker. It's funny how a shop assistant can go from looking very surly to being really cheery and wanting to talk to you when they realise you're a foreigner. That always amuses me.

7 comments:

  1. I think you have very good reasons for learning Dutch.

    I'm always surprised at how few English speakers want to learn the language of their new country properly. I know a woman who lived in Belgium for about twenty years and never learned proper French or Dutch. I just don't understand that.

    I always wonder what they would think if someone came to live in Britain or America and never learned any English. Actually, I know what they would be saying about that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My company is all English. Half of the people there are Dutch but because the other half is from all other kinds of country the common language is English. So my Dutch progressed very slowly for 7 years even when I took lessons every now and then.

    But a year and a half of having a Dutch girlfriend and my Dutch has suddenly rocketed forward in progress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are the best reasons to learn the language. Those were *my* reasons anyway, plus the job thing. I have never worked at a completely Dutch company, but speaking the language sure helps you in the job market. I think it's really terrible that so many expats/immigrants all but practically refuse to learn because "the Dutch speak English". We live here, we really SHOULD respect the language and the people, even if it seems from time to time they don't respect us.

    Anyway, good on you for having the right motivation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. :) I have another expat friend in Holland who has just finished lessons! Have I introduced you to my friend Just A Plane Ride Away?

    I speak Afrikaans which is derived from the Dutch language so I have lots of fun translating what you guys are writing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm in the same boat as you. I'm going to sign up for a Dutch class in January because after my Master's program, I want to stay here and find a job. Sometimes I do feel like its pointless trying to learn this language but I agree with you. We do live here and I would love to be able to just understand a group of Dutch people when they are talking to each other. I hope your classes go well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you mentioned the best reasons to learn the language, especially the first; you do it for you! To feel at home, to get a grasp of nuances (ah the Dutch and finesse? Oh well you know what I mean hehe).

    To find "koek- and speculaas kruiden" would be a good start ;-), about any supermarket will carry those around this time, look for them in the Verstegen or Silvo spice rack.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well said Lily...and good luck with your course !

    ReplyDelete